The Mystery Artifact Series blog allows you to step into the shoes of an archaeologist to identify an artifact! Look at the picture below, and try and guess what the artifact might be and what it can tell us about the site it came from. The artifact below was found at a site from the historic period at Fort Sill near Lawton in Comanche County, Oklahoma. To think like an archaeologist, you try answering the questions below:
- What kind of material is it made of?
- How big is it?
- What do you think it was used for?
- Who do you think used it?
- When do you think it was used?
- If you found this at a site, what do you think may have been happening there in the past?
Be sure to write down your interpretation and check back for our answers!